Saturday, December 5, 2009

Outdoor Decorations in Our Family

As I was shucking through the pictures I had loaded in this computer, I was hoping I had one particular picture that represented outdoor decorations as I was growing up in my family.


It was 2 large candles that stood on each side of our door. This began when I was a very little girl and m grandmother was still alive and living with us. As the years went by they were joined by a very large, happy, jolly Santa. We of course put lights across the eave of the house and into the bushes, and we loved it when our neighbors decorated as well, but those 2 yellow and red candles just said it all to me, beaconing us all home into a place of love andlaughter at the holidays. As the years went by it became harder to keep the candles together- the parts separated and we used electrical tape to keep the flame attached and the plastic began to melt away, but I don't think my father nor I wanted to see the end of those candles.

Alas, all good things must come to an end and 2 years ago after I took several pictures, Dad finally had to throw them away.

Today my daughter was at my parents home getting out the lights and tomorrow we will put them up at their house and mine- in the snow and freezing weather- but new decorations and new traditions will begin.

In the meantime, we will continue to drive around town to see other special decorations at our favorite homes and at our local park who uses the money to help children with needs.

No comments: