Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Progress

Well, several days have passed since my last entry. I decided to look back at my goals for 2010, wanting to give them several days to settle into my inner voice before writing my next entry. The resolutions had flown out of my heart so quickly that I feared that I had thrown out the baby with the bath water, but I have to say that I am satisfied.

Yes, much is written. Yes, it is written in a semi sarcastic attempt at some humor, but there are days when my attempt at humor rolls and the day I wrote those goals was one of those interesting moments. I am pleased that I am already making moves in some categories, instead of simply writing a blog, putting a satisfied grin on my face, and then turning off the computer without another thought.

I have received word that I will be particpating in the next Pro-Gen study course starting in February based on the book, "Professional Genealogy: A Manual for Researchers, Writers, Editors, Lecturers, and Librarians" edited by Elizabeth Shown Mills. This is an 18 month peer group that Angela McGhie oversees based on that book and I am excited to particpate. I will have to keep you informed on my progress.

I have also made a concentrated effort to spend a bit of time in the evening reading  one of the genealogy publications that have been collecting dust since fall, and of course that adds to my list of ideas for further research, but the articles also keep researching fresh and interesting for me and I have missed taking the time to read.

Organization steps are also underway as I have been assembling some storage furniture, preparing to sell other pieces that take up too much room compared to their usefulness (we don't need a desk in the living room for the computer that is as big as the couch, for example), and rearranging to make use of space we have. As we genealogists know, organization is so important yet not one of the priorities when we would much rather be finding cousins and chipping away bricks from the wall.

I think its a good start. I intend to review these resolutions/goals monthly to stay on track, so we'll see how it goes.

Till next time,
take care

1 comment:

Brenda Joyce Jerome said...

Organization makes your goals easier to define and achieve.

Congratulations on being part of the Pro-Gen study group. You are certainly off to a good start in 2010.