Thursday, February 25, 2010

2010 Winter Games- An Update

As we near  the end of these games, I find myself taking a moment to see all the benefits this experience has provided for myself.

I have learned how to use Google Mapsgoogle maps, and their street view feature. I spent some time developing a detailed and comprehensive plan for backing up all of my research files and a security plan for my hard copies and photos as required by this competition.

I am much more organized than I was two weeks ago as well. My photos are all in one location, scanning is well underway, files on the computer are being organized into folders that are easier to find when I need them, and my information is archived onto external drives and placed into safe locations away from my computer should anything happen.

I have also joined 2 socities that have been on my list for the past few weeks (St. Mary's County Maryland Genealogical Society and The Kentucky Genealogical Society), have increased my list of blogs I follow (although there are many more I am reading and will put on my list), and am starting slowly to add photos to Find - Gravehttp://www.findagrave.com/.

So, as of this post here is where I stand:

1) Go Back and Cite Your Sources!   Silver medal

2) Back Up Your Data!  Not Sure- I have completed tasks A & C, half of D

3) Organzie Your Research!  Platinum medal

4) Expand Your Knowledge    Silver medal

5)  Write, Write, Write!   Bronze medal

6) Reach Out & Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness!  Platinum medal


If my calendar is correct I have today and tomorrow to finish my to do list. I am hoping (always remember that sometimes life gets in the way) to get some more sources cited, focus on some of the writing tasks, and to see if my technological skills will behave and in the process make some improvements to my blog page.

I want to thank you all for the nice comments and the new additions that have come along. We all have so much to learn from each other. Do not hesitate to send a note when there are suggestions for improvements as well as those great notes of encouragement (keep em coming!)

Til next time, Kim

1 comment:

Sheri Fenley said...

Congratulations Kim, you really understood the spirit of the geneablogger games and that makes you a winner!