Sunday, February 21, 2010

Update on the Winter Games

Although I do not have much to show for in my medal count for the past few days, the experience itself is so much more valuable.

My focus today was Category 6- Reach Out & Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness!

Task A; Comment on a new genealogy blog (to me) was easy and I found several that struck a chord for me to leave a comment on.

Task G: Use the Follow feature on a Blogger-based genealogy blog  and follow one or more blogs. I definitely added to my Google Reader tonight, first by viewing some of the newer blogs that have been featured recently, and then by starting to read some of the other blogs that are participating in the Winter Games. I love reading what others have to write, but the irony is that in doing so I did not even get through all the Olympic participants to view tonight in order to move on to some scanning I had planned.  How do those of you that subscribe to hundreds of blogs do it? Everyone has so much to say.

So my count tally to date is rather small, but I am learning and growing in the experience.

To date: Back Up Your Data- I have earned a medal
Organize Your Research:- Silver Medal
Reach Out & Perform Genealogical Acs of Kindness- Silver Medal

Tomorrow I hope to spend some time on citing some sources that need my attention, figure out why DropBox is fighting with me, expand my knowledge of maps, and catch up on 52 weeks of genealogy challenges.  Whew! We'll see how that goes!

In the meantime, take a moment to use the symbolism of the Vancouver Olympics and the stories of athletes who have overcome obstacles in which no one believed they would walk again, or run, or compete and how they broke through their own brickwalls just to be in the moment as inspiration to try "one more avenue" for that elusive ancestor or piece of documentation that has to be out there somewhere in your own travels today.

No comments: