Sunday, February 21, 2010

52 Weeks To Better Genealogy- Challenge # 6

This challenge asks me to utilize my local library and to see what databases and referances are available online through my local library.

In my case I have two different libraries to consider for this: Willard Library, which serves as the 3rd largest genealogy library in the state of Indiana, and the Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library system, which has many benefits as well.

Willlard Library has several databases online, including:  The Newspaper Index (microfilmed indexes of Evansville newspapers from 1821-1860), Marriage Index for Vanderburgh County Indiana marriages(1920- 1979), Postcard and Photograph Indexes, as well as GenealogyBank and HeritageQuest that are available online when I enter my library card information. Willard also has access to AncestryLibrary when you go in and use their computers free of charge, but are limited to one hour in fairness to others.

The Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library has several online databases that are helpful for me including NewsBank, the Evansville Local History Database, Browning Genealogy  Database, Cyndis List, Getting Started in Genealogy, Many of the State Archives, as well as FamilySearch.

What I love is that there are so many resources availble to us from our libraries, and am grateful for this challenge as an excuse to spend some time devouring them.

Check out what your library has. You may be surprised.

The Evansville Vanderburgh Library has many other internet resources

No comments: