Saturday, February 27, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy- Google Maps

I first started to play with this just a few days ago when I saw it on the list of Tasks for the Winter 2010 Geneablogger Games and decided that not only did I need to get back to it because I was catching up (slowly) on the challenges, but also because I really had fun with it then, and wanted to experiment more to become more familiar.

I decided to use this as a chance to overview St. Mary's County, Maryland and in particular St. Clement's Island and Leonardtown. These locations were the first places that my Raley (spelled Railey then) line landed in the United States a few hundred years ago.

The map is interesting, but when you add the satellite view on top of that, it just adds such dimension not only literally but in terms of bringing those places that we cannot visit at the drop of a hat to life. I for one intend to utilize this site more often.

No comments: